Monday, September 18, 2006

What do Guides do in their Off Season?

Just in from our "vacationing" field guides... Saul, senior headguide for W.E.T. River Trips is staying in Southern California surfing and boarding near the beaches of San Diego. Here's his account of his beginner surfing days...

"I went body boarding last week and got hammered pretty good... I still have water in my ears and none of the surfers have any idea how to get it out beyond using "swimmers ear", and blowing the ears with a hair dryer set to "Cool". Maybe, I'm not cut out for this type of sport...

The re-occuring thought with body boarding or surfing was how the water just didn't feel clean. Salt aside, the funk felt like surfing the Upper Klamath in late August. Also, I know wiping out in Freight Train (Cal Salmon) sucks, but it still felt safer than wiping out on an ocean wave, and having the surfboard and you getting recycled in the washout. Maybe I'm just too used to the rounded river rocks and rubber rafts. Oh and another thing, waiting for a wave.... why don't you just drive up to a wave, jump on your board and surf. Why wait? Surprisingly, its not a bro fest..."
Saul "The Man"

No comments: