Monday, March 12, 2007

Survival of the Midterm

Midterms, Spring break... student life demands a break from the grind! Let's ask Steph how it's going over at Berkeley...

So, I had my first experience with Cal Midterms. Exciting? Not so much. Painful? A little bit. The most intriguing part about midterms was watching my fellow students burn out, but show up. Yes, attendance dwindled somewhat the last two weeks. But for some reason, I would come to class and see these young people who did show up looking twenty years aged. Their eyeballs sagged. They looked like victims of Lyme Disease. I felt terrible and guilty that I'd gotten so lucky.


I only had one Midterm on Friday. Granted it was absolutely brutal, but I got off light compared to some of the kids studying engineering and the like.

But don't think my week was all a bed of roses. My internet connection went dead at home. T-Mobil screwed up my billing services and shut my phone down.

At the end of the day on Friday, however, I felt a great sense of accomplishment. I walked out of my English discussion; the first one to successfully finish taming the beast. Am I brilliant? Not so much. Am I compulsive? A little bit.

I walked over to a little tea spot on Bancroft avenue called Moccacino and had myself an Oreo milkshake. I'm not cool and hipster enough to be really into tea.

I highly recommend the place. I also recommend that when you sit down to take a midterm, sit down and tame it. Don't be intimidated by it. You are its master. And when you hit the question that you have no idea how to answer, just move on. That one question is not your identity.

Neither is the Oreo milkshake or the tea if you like them. But they are delicious and refreshing.

"Steph at Berkeley" - Steph is a college student at Berkeley and blogs about student life.

No comments: